Policy Effective: November 2012
This notice replaces any previous notices provided to you by us about the privacy, security and protection of information. We may amend this notice at any time. We will inform you of changes as required by law.
1. Collection of Information
We collect information about you to provide you with superior customer service, save you time, better respond to your needs, and manage our business and risks. We collect information about you from the following sources:
- Directly from you on forms, applications, and other similar documents; via the Internet; by telephone; or otherwise. Examples of this type of information include your name, address, names of family members, marital status, Social Security Number, employment information, and financial situation, etc.
- From transactions with us or with companies through which we provide you products and services. For example, account balances, holdings, and history (bank, mutual fund, annuity, etc.); insurance coverages, limits, rates, beneficiaries, and claims history.
- From consumer report agencies, such as information relating to your creditworthiness, your credit score, credit usage, and claims history.
- From third parties to verify the information you have given us and protect against fraudulent activity as required by law.
2. Protecting Your Information
Keeping your information secure is one of our most important responsibilities. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect your information. We limit access to customer information to those employees and others who have a business reason to know this information. We maintain strict internal policies against unauthorized disclosure or use of client information. Even if you are no longer a customer, we will treat your information in the same manner as if you were still a customer.
3. Information Sharing With Third Parties
Individuals or companies outside the First Command Family of Companies are considered third parties. We will not share your information with third parties so they may market their products to you. Accordingly, you do not need to tell us to refrain from sharing your information with third parties.
We may share the information we collect about you as described above with third parties only as permitted or required by law. For example, we may share information:
- With service providers that assist us with a variety of business activities, including marketing on our behalf, customer service, account administration, online support, and research.
- To protect against or prevent actual or potential fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims, or other liability.
- To process your requests or provide services regarding a financial product or service you request or authorize (such as mutual funds, financial planning services, insurance, deposit accounts, loans, credit cards, etc.). Companies with whom we may share your information in this regard include mutual fund companies, insurance companies, banks, and transfer agents which maintain your accounts.
- With government entities in response to subpoenas or regulatory requirements.
- With consumer reporting agencies and/or credit bureaus.
- Pursuant to your written consent.
All third parties with whom we share your information are required to protect the confidentiality of the information provided by us and may only disclose such information as permitted by law.
4. Information Sharing Within the First Command Family of Companies
The reason you share your information with us is so that we may use your information to determine whether the investment, insurance and banking products and services we offer are a good fit for you and to provide you with recommendations and service for these products and services. In order to accomplish this objective and provide the recommendations and services you request, we may share your information within our Family of Companies to ensure that the recommendations and services we provide consider your complete financial picture and complement each other.
You may direct us (1)not to share information about your credit worthiness received from you or others within our Family of Companies, and/or (2) not to market products or services to you based on information received from one of our other companies. These limitations may not apply in certain circumstances permitted by law, such as if you already have a pre-existing relationship with the company desiring to market its products or services to you. Moreover, should you choose to exercise your right to prohibit sharing of information among our Family of Companies, we may be unable to establish or continue a relationship with you as your choice may limit our ability to serve you as discussed above.
5. Protecting Medical and Health Information
We do not share any medical or health information with third parties or within the First Command Family of Companies, except as necessary to process transactions or services you have requested or initiated or as otherwise permitted by law. For example, we may share medical or health information you have provided to us in connection with an insurance application with insurance companies to determine your eligibility or for underwriting purposes.
6. Online Security Policy
For information regarding our online security practices, we invite you to review our Online Security Policy at www.firstcommand.com or www.firstcommandbank.com.
7. Making Sure Your Information Is Accurate
You have the right to review the information we have collected about you to ensure that it is accurate and current. You can also request corrections to any personal information maintained by us.
To correct information about you, send a written request as described above, explaining your desired correction. Upon receipt of your request, we will contact you within 30 business days to inform you whether we will make the correction or tell you why we will not. We cannot correct consumer report information, such as your credit report. To do this, you must contact the consumer report agency that provided it.